I used to hate garage sales. I couldn’t fathom why anyone would want the old junk I was throwing out. That is, until I decided thrifting is a way of life. Despite the insistance during my last yard sale two years ago that I would never, EVER have another, that I’d just donate all the crap I didn’t want, we decided we’d collected enough junk that a garage sale could be financially beneficial. And it was — more than $200 FROM OUR OLD CRAP. Mind boggling.
I think it was my stellar advertisement and marketing for my garage sale. I mean, this is what happens when you merge eight years of marketing and advertising experience with garage sale advertisements. Here’s a pictorial guide to
How to advertise a garage sale for free
1. Advertise garage sale specials, even if you’re just moving 10 cent items into a 10 cent bin and not really lowering the price.
2. Connect the sale to the local football team when you advertise a garage sale for free. People really love that.
3. Use interjections like WOW and also overdose on exclamation points when you advertise a garage sale for free.
4. Price to sell. Seriously, are you going to donate the stuff at the end of it anyway? Some is better than none. Move it. MAke deals. Watch Pawn Stars for inspiration.
5. Use amounts. “I have 20 pairs of women’s jeans!” “Check out 234 coffee mugs!” “We’re selling three TVs!”
6. Pull out your Sharpie and get creative with your signage when you advertise a garage sale for free. Examples are:
7. Advertise a garage sale for free on social media. Leave no virtual stone unturned. Pimp it out like it’s your job. Post a picture on Facebook of that one single tv that NOBODY WILL TAKE EVEN THOUGH IT WOULD BE PERFECT FOR GAMERS AND FOR CRYING OUT LOUD YOU’RE FIXING TO TELL ME THERE IS NOT ONE GAMER IN THIS GOD FORSAKEN TOWN WHO NEEDS A GAMING TV?????
8. Walk inside and get a donut to calm down.
9. When it starts slowing down, introduce a special guest.
10. Mark everything down to 10 cents. EVERYTHING. Make your garage sale one big 10 cent bin. Resist the urge to make a great big sign that says this.
How do you advertise your garage sale for free?