Oh, y’all, it’s been another weekend of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes story after deliciously juicy story. I can hardly keep up. I’m thinking about going on hiatus at work just so I can make sure I dont’ miss anything. Kidding. Kind of.
Here are some tasty Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise gossip I’ve been noshing on this weekend. I’ll update this as I find more, so come back often until the last hurrah!
UPDATE 7/9 2 p.m. – Details in Hollywood’s quickest divorce settlement are quickly coming in. Katie will have primary custody of Suri, and will continue to live with her in New York City. According to Radar Online, a nanny and bodyguard will accompany Suri on her visits to Tom Cruise. They also reported Suri will not be permitted to attend any Scientology related events, including parties and church services, with Tom.
Katie’s Lawyer, Jonathan Wolfe told TMZ, ”This case has been settled and the agreement has been signed.” They acknowledged Tom Cruise’s professionalism. Must have learned that from Scientology.
UPDATE 7/9 12:30 - The couple have released a statement!
“We are committed to working together as parents to accomplish what is in our daughter Suri’s best interests.”
“We want to keep matters affecting our family private and express our respect for each other’s commitment to each of our respective beliefs and support each other’s roles as parents.”
Update 7/9 am: The exit from Scientology might be more difficult for Katie than her divorce. A former Scientologist weighs in.
update 7/8 pm:cruise is in “crisis mode” as his life is being torn apart. He’s reportedly on the phone with his lawyers 24/7 and wants to settle outside of court.
- Katie Holmes basically spent all weekend at her lawyer’s office trying to iron out some deets and make a plan for her divorce.
- Seems like in the epic battle between Katie Holmes and TomCruise, Scientologist, for the soul of little Suri, Katie is winning. Sources say the former couple don’t want their family “drug through the mud” (because Scientology can do that for them instead), and that Cruise may be open to Suri living with Katie, but the settlement would have to include visitation rights for him.
- I wonder if these negotiations have anything to do with Tom being unable to file in California like he hoped…
- The Daily Beast has a great article on why Katie will win sole legal custody. Top divorce and family law experts were quoted, and one called her scheme “diabolical” (in a good way.) They also mention that in New York, joint legal custody is sort of frowned upon because it is often “unworkable in too many instance.” I found this bit quite interesting:
“[Scientology’s] influence is felt through all the traditional domestic spheres; Scientologists often send their children to special schools and liken psychiatric medications to poison. “You can’t just peel off one aspect of it, so that wouldn’t work,” says Hennessey. “It’s a zero-sum game in this case. Someone has to get full legal custody, meaning final say in all the important decisions.” (Read the article for more…)
- While we’re on the subject, learn more about the emotional blackmail Scientologists use for members who dare leave the church and check out this list of great reads on the organization that will make you want to take a shower after you read them because you’ll feel so slimy.
- So, let’s say someone came up to you and said, “Listen, you. I’d like you to pay me $400,000 to reach the third level of salvation in my church, at which point you’ll learn about an galatic alien tyrant who killed lots of people 75 billion years ago and the particles of those people are living inside you at all times. Oh, and I will make you confess all your ish and to make sure you aren’t lying, I’m going to give you a lie detector test (except I will call it an EReader) that’s so powerful it can hear the screams of fruit as it’s being sliced. so, what do you say?” NO. I WOULD SAY NO. This is clearly a cult, no? Am I missing something? Please do NOT miss this glossary of Scientology terms.
- Katie Holmes had lots to say about Scientology in 2005.
I’ll be adding the latest as I find it!