I’ve been eagerly awaiting the return of the only good thing about Monday, How I Met Your Mother. It’s one of the few shows on TV that I’ll sit and watch without Tweeting at the same time (and that’s saying something).
If you’re not familiar with How I Met Your Mother (HIMYM from here on out), it’s a show about five New York City friends in their early 30s trying to figure out their lives. Who hasn’t been there?
Learn more about the show and the characters here on this Wikipedia page, my go-to research source. Because Wikipedia is never wrong *source needed*
OK, on to my theories!
The story starts this week at the wedding that was teased on the season finale, which turns out to be Barney’s. The big mystery here is who he’s marrying. It’s one of two people: Robin or Nora.
I have two guesses — one guess as to who it will be, a second as to who it should be.
It will be Robin. I think they have teased this relationship enough that if it isn’t her when it’s all said and done, lots of people will be angry. It makes sense, too. I’m not comparing this to Friends by any means (although I probably could) but Ross and Rachel ended up together and Monica and Chandler ended up together. It’s just a tidy (albeit contrived) way of wrapping up a story.
I think they pummel us with the “Robin and Barney are perfect for each other” theme way too hard and way too often. Ouch, what’s that throbbing in my head? It’s the concussion from the anvil that is the Robin/Barney hook-up.
I’m not saying I don’t like them together, because I’m a sucker for tidily wrapped up storyline, I’m just saying that it seems they are trying too hard to throw viewers off the scent with Nora.
And it should be Nora, just because the Robin thing is way too convenient. I don’t have feelings for or against Nora. I can’t believe that any woman would want to continue a relationship with a guy who had just described the thousands of ways he’s tricked women into bed with him. It’s difficult for me to believe, too, from a character perspective that Barney can suddenly change so dramatically. Sleeping in a diner until he gets a date is a Mosby circa season 2 thing, not a Barney thing.
I’m torn on this one. I am getting tired of the red herrings. I got chills during the first few seasons when they focused on the “yellow umbrella” being the key to finding the mother. Then it turns out it just belonged to the roommate of the girl he met while he was teaching (another teaser!) and I honestly can’t remember how that’s connected to the latest teaser — meeting/seeing the mother at Barney’s wedding.
Victoria the Cupcake Girl at the end of this episode was a big shock for me. It would be very cool for her to be the mother, in my opinion, because she and Ted had a great chemistry and I loved their story. I also really dig “long lost love” stories. However, I thought we found out she WASN’T the mother a few seasons ago.
If he starts a serious relationship with her, I hope it turns out she is — mainly because it would be the fifth relationship that “could be” the mother. I know that’s the whole point of the show, but I’d like to see more about how he evolves as a person during his quest to find “the one” and not just see a string of relationships meant solely to tease us. As much as I want to find out who the mother is, I also don’t want the show to end just yet.
All that being said, I was pleasantly shocked and my HIMYM loving brain did a little happy dance. I’m really interested in seeing how this unfolds, and I realy wouldn’t hate if she was the mother.
And now a word from Hutch…
Hutch over at From the Sidelines has her own two cents to throw in about this season’s first two epis:
- Highly unlikely it’s a bridesmaid dress. Lily looks too good and we all know bridesmaids can’t look anywhere close to as beautiful as the bride on her day.
- If it is a bridesmaid dress, there’s not a chance Robin would choose any shade of pink for her wedding.
- Unrelated to the dress, but I’ve got a list going so I’m sticking with it, the writer’s know how horribly wrong Barney and Robin were together the first time around. So much so, their relationship almost killed the show. Granted it was also around the same time as Ted’s doucheoverhaul, but I blame the lack of consistency in both Barney and Robin’s characters more.
- Nora. I don’t think Lily would be a bridesmaid in this wedding, nor would I see Nora choosing pink. I see her as more of a classic black and white type. With silver as an accent, cue the tie.
- Cupcake Girl, aka Victoria! I don’t think she’s the mom (can’t figure out how she’d be connected to Rachel Bilson’s character from last season) and there has to be a reason for her coming back right? Plus, if Lily, for some crazy reason, IS a bridesmaid, who better to choose pink as one of her color’s than a baker? AND why would Nora want to see Ted before the wedding? I could totally see the cupcake girl asking for him since they do have a history. Clear the air one last time or whatever.
What do you think? Am I way off-base? Would Barney really go for Ted’s leftovers a 2nd time? Are you a Barney/Robin fan?